Warning: I'm going to spew some of my insides today.
I read something a few months ago about being a SAHM that really got me thinking. The author was questioning SAHMs about their role in their homes and how well they do their "job". So, I started thinking about my "job" and how well I do it. I mean, really thinking about it.
So, how well do I do my job? If I had a real boss (not Josh, of course!), would I perform differently? If I was taking care of someone else's kids and someone else's house, what would my daily schedule look like? If there were other people in line waiting to "take" my job, would I be better at it?
It wasn't totally about making me feel guilty about the way my days have looked for the last 5 1/2 years. However, it was about doing a major gut-check and re-evaluating my everyday schedule. I mean, really, I'm trying to accomplish lots of stuff at home (dishes, laundry, cooking, cleaning, nursing, kindergarten, preschool, baby school...not to mention blogging, talking on the phone, maintaining my business, and having fun). I didn't even have a daily schedule! How was I supposed to get everything done???
But I've wasted a lot (A LOT) of time over the last 5 years doing what? I don't even know sometimes! I know that surfing the internet has taken up a lot of mindless time. I also know that television used to take up a lot of my time, although we've cut most of that out around here as well. (I don't have time for it anymore!) I used to watch the Today Show every morning when Claire was a baby. And I watched Dr. Phil every afternoon. I thought I needed some "down" time because I was so busy with that baby! Ha ha ha ha! Isn't that funny? Oh, to go back to my "busy" life with one child who slept in until 10a.m. and took 2 naps a day!
Back on track: Now, don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with watching a little t.v. or surfing the internet here and there, but I would really just do it mindlessly. No real purpose. I'm trying to be much more purposeful these days with my time. I have a lot I want to get done! Moderation is the key...seems to be for a lot of things!
I have a job in my home. I need to view it like a job and make our days purposeful. Josh is so nice because when we discussed this for the first time a month or so ago, he assured me that I am a great wife and a great mother and I'm good at taking care of things around the house. And that's all good and well except that I could be better! And I'm not just being hard on myself. If I managed my time better, I could get SO much more done.
Anyway, I'm going to ramble more about this in the coming days. (Hopefully, there are more cheers than moans in my reading audience at this point!) I kind of have a lot to say about it, so get ready! You know how I am when I have a lot to say....I can go on and on and on and on. Bear with me. :)
3 comments:
I am in the same boat!! I just told Klint this morning, "If I would have managed my time better, i wouldn't be so behind!" errr...
This is very convicting, Jackie. Thanks!! I'll be waiting for the rest of that venting...:)
I started writing a comment, but it got too long. I posted it on my blog to share with all. :)
That is awesome!!! I know how great you are and what a great job you do, but we can all manage our time better and make it meaningful! I can't wait to read more! Love ya!
Post a Comment