12.20.2012

{Merry Christmas 2012}


To all of my readers in blogland...our family wishes you a very Merry Christmas.  Here is the Christmas letter that we sent out this week to our family and friends.  Enjoy!

Merry Christmas!  It has been a rather uneventful year in our household and will be fondly remembered as the “Year of Steady”.  Let it be known that I will take as many steady years as I am offered.  Josh and I celebrated 10 years of marriage in July, and took an absolutely glorious vacation to the Riviera Maya, Mexico, with some of our best friends, Dave and Deanna.  We spent the majority of our time holding down lounge chairs, turning pages of books, admiring the ocean, and eating and drinking the offerings at our resort.  It was relaxing, refreshing, and needed.

This year, Josh prioritized our back deck as his project of choice.  He replaced all of the deck boards, stained it, and is hoping to have it screened-in this coming summer.  He is also currently making plans to add on to our house.  We are looking to add an extra room and an attached garage.  {Please note that I am claiming this garage as my own, and all other parties will need permission to store their belongings in my garage.  I’m hoping this doesn't sound too selfish…I simply want to be able to park in it on a daily basis without being squeezed out by tools, lawn mowers, and huge bags of plastic duck decoys.  Is that too much for a girl to ask?  Long ago, Josh claimed the entire 30x40 pole barn as his own, so it only seems logical that I would be first in line for this space.}  Speaking of the barn, Josh spent many hours in his workshop this year building a full-size standing mirror and a beautiful new headboard for our bedroom.  {See, he does such nice things for me, and yet I get all possessive about this new garage.}  Hunting season has stocked the freezer with three deer and a few ducks, and we’re hoping at least one more deer will feel the need to nourish our crew.  Only time will tell.

I continue to manage and educate the crazy brood.  I have found this year to be a very enjoyable one since Olivia has become mobile and independent.  It is also much easier to keep track of a toddler who is under so much surveillance by her three older sisters.  We all really do work together to keep Olivia’s sticky little hands out of trouble.  I don’t typically have a hunting update in my section, but I am pleased to announce that I shot my first animal this fall:  a chubby little groundhog that had made his home under our barn.  I’ll be honest…I kind of felt like a big deal, and Josh was certainly proud.  This past fall, I also ran my first 10k.  I was completely disheartened when I crossed the finish line just seconds over the 1-hour mark {which was my ultimate-absolute-best-scenario-goal}, and then was completely ecstatic when I realized that the timer on my bib didn't actually begin until I crossed the start line {which took about 30 seconds off of my time}.  These things happen to people who are sheltered and only run in small town races.  I’m hoping to train for a mini-marathon next summer, which is something I would have considered virtually unachievable a couple of years ago. 

Claire {4th grade} is growing up before our very eyes.  She turned 9 in May, and it felt like life handed us a bit of a gut check when we realized that she was halfway through her childhood.  {I may have even shed a few tears over this.}  Claire has seen an increase in schoolwork this year, which has proven a challenge to her time-management skills, or at times, lack thereof.  She really enjoys reading and has taken it upon herself to read aloud to her sisters several nights a week once they are all in bed.  This year, she is taking an art class at our local elementary school; she’s made a couple new friends and really likes her teacher.  She wants all of you to know that she enjoys running, sewing, baking, attending local festivals in the summer, and watching Daddy work in his workshop.
 
Meredith {2nd grade} had her tonsils removed at the beginning of June.  We had thought for quite some time that they were abnormally oversized, and the ENT confirmed it.  Her tonsils were dangerously obstructing her throat, and she sounded an awful lot like Darth Vader at night when she slept.  Once removed, she immediately slept better, felt better, and of course she enjoyed eating ice cream and popsicles in front of her sisters for two weeks straight.  Meredith continues to be enthralled with Olivia, and Olivia loves it.  I've often found the best way to work the grumpies out of either of them is to shut them in a room and snuggle them together with a book.  It is absolutely heart-warming to watch the two of them interact.  Meredith would like you to know that she loved picking blueberries over the summer, going to the county fair with Grandma and Grandpa, dressing up as a 50s sock hop dancer for Halloween, and going hunting with Daddy a couple of weeks ago.

Amelia {4 ½} never stops moving and rarely stops talking.  Her energy is both contagious and exhausting, and she keeps us hopping on a daily basis!  This year has brought her the ability to write her name, write her numbers, and make her bed.  Josh took her on her first hunting adventure this fall where they bagged three squirrels.  To say that she absolutely loved it would be a gross understatement.  She couldn't be more excited to start kindergarten in the fall, and she’s hoping that her two wiggly bottom teeth will have fallen out by that time.  Amelia would like you to know that she loves to count, likes eating meat and steak, and is disappointed that I won’t let her draw her name across this Christmas letter. 

Olivia {21 months} is one big bundle of sweetness.  This little peanut brings more joy to our family than we could have ever imagined.  The three older girls think she is the sweetest, funniest, cutest baby, and only occasionally do they get annoyed with her ability to find each and every pencil, marker, pair of scissors, or important book left unattended.  Thankfully, Olivia has recently ceased her daily attempts {with varied success} to climb onto the kitchen counter, nearly giving her mother a heart attack; she is now focused on mastering door knobs.  This girl absolutely adores shoes that are at least 3 sizes larger than her feet and can be found wearing several different pairs throughout the day.  Olivia would like you to know that she loves giving hugs, she loves crawling around and roaring like a lion, and her favorite part of the day is when Daddy walks through the door. 

This fall brought a couple of major changes to our daily routine.  At the beginning of September, we purchased a newer mini-van.  It’s crazy to think that this van could possibly be the first vehicle Claire drives…yikes!  And the end of September brought us new neighbors.   We had grown to love our former neighbors, Mo and Kay, but we were overwhelmingly blessed when some of our very best friends, Brian and Kristi, purchased the property that sits directly in front of our own.  Josh and Brian have been scheming all kinds of fun ideas and are like two little kids constantly running back and forth to each other’s houses.  We’re looking forward to many great memories together. 
We pray your families are well and hope you are truly enjoying this Christmas season!

Much love,

Josh, Jackie, Claire, Meredith, Amelia, and Olivia

“So they hurried off and found Mary and Joseph, and the baby, who was lying in the manger.  When they had seen him, they spread the word concerning what had been told them about this child, and all who heard it were amazed at what the shepherds said to them.  But Mary treasured up all these things and pondered them in her heart.  The shepherds returned, glorifying and praising God for all the things they had heard and seen, which were just as they had been told.”  Luke 2: 16-20

No comments: