10.28.2013

tonight's dinner prayer



Amelia's evening chore is to help set the table.  I had asked her to put small bowls on the table tonight for fruit.  Being the textbook five year old that she is, she stacked all 6 glass and ceramic bowls on top of each other to carry them to the table.  

That same textbook status urged her to hold on to just the bottom bowl.  I turned around just in time to witness the carrying of the bowls.  Unfortunately, I didn't see it quickly enough to fight the evil force of gravity.  

You know what happened next.  

I'm not going to lie.  There was some yelling in the room from the adults.  There were some tears in the room from a certain five year old.  There were broken ceramic pieces all over the kitchen floor.

Josh cleaned the mess.  We sat down to dinner since it was already on the table.  The five year old was still crying.  Josh comforted her, she settled down, and she requested that she offer the dinner prayer:

"Dear Lord, 
Please help us to remember to not carry so many dishes at one time.  And please help the dishes to not be very expensive at Kohl's."

There was more, but I was laughing so hard that I couldn't even concentrate.  I tried to conceal it.  Unfortunately, laughter like that is virtually uncontrollable...and infectious.  It was both.

1 comment:

teresa said...

thankful the night ended with smiles. pretty sure you'll find just the right replacement bowls ... and that they'll be carefully carried to the table. lesson learned.